The Importance of Wearing a Mask
Help Slow the Spread of COVID-19 – Wear a Face Covering
Face masks, along with other measures, help prevent those who have COVID-19 from spreading the virus to others. Based on what we know, COVID-19 is thought to spread mainly from person to person contact, close contact between people (within approximately 6 feet), and respiratory droplets produced when an infected person coughs, sneezes, or talks. With that said, face coverings are recommended as a ‘barrier. They help keep respiratory droplets contained from reaching other people, and ultimately face coverings help prevent the spread of COVID-19.
Research has proven that many individuals with COVID-19 are completely “asymptomatic” and can transmit the virus to others before showing any symptoms at all.
Wear your Face Covering Correctly
- Wash or sanitize your hands before putting on and taking off your face covering.
- Place it over both your nose and mouth.
- Ensure that the face-covering fits snugly against the sides of your face. The mask should fit snugly and cover your nose, mouth, and chin.
- Do not touch your mask while wearing it as it may be contaminated.
- Should you touch your mask, wash or sanitize your hands.
- Make sure you can breathe easily.
- Wash your hands pursuant to removing your mask.
- Regularly wash your mask. This can be done with soap and water either by hand or in the washing machine.
It is critical to wear a face-covering correctly for maximum protection
Wearing a mask not only protects you from the virus, but it also helps to protect those around you. It is a selfless act as we are each taking responsibility and protecting the most vulnerable members of our community.